Musings

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

more adventures

Bonjour,

9/25 Planned to kick back today and take in a movie. Rio Bravo, a fav Western of mine was playing. Woke up at 11am!!! and it was too late to make it so I planned on seeing Sabrina (the Hepburn version) in French but it took me 2 1/2 hours to find the movie theatre so I missed the screening by two hours. They only show the movies once so I was out of luck. Came back to my part of town and got Chinese take-out on the rue Cler. Not bad. Watched "Friends" episodes in French.

9/26 Off to my favorite part of town, St Germain des Pres, for an afternoon at the Ecole Nationale des Beaux Arts on rue Bonaparte just up the street from my favorite place, Laduree. Had a private tour with a small group. It's only open to the public on Monday afternoon by special arrangement. This school has been around for a while. Rodin was rejected three times when he tried to enroll. Has an amazing chapel that houses plaster castings of original art by the best and this is where the students go to be inspired and it is surely inspiring. Met two other women on the tour who are also here on their own and renting apartments. I had dinner with one of them after at Laduree and made her a fan of the place. They had some new macaroon flavors. One was pepper and I passed on it but they also replaced praline with carmel which is now my new favorite. Yum.

9/27 Stayed in, looked over what I'd like to do next and did some laundry. Exciting huh. Just trying to pace myself until I can get into the groove. Sharon, the woman I met on the tour says it took her a week before she felt okay. Thought I'd try a movie again this time in the Opera district. Stopped off at the American church on the Seine that has a free American/Paris newspaper. They were out but it's a good place to know. I get lost constantly and find the theater was no exception. After walking about 20 blocks and not finding it, I went back to the metro where I started to try again. And there it was one block away in the opposite direction. saw Shane Black's new movie, "Kiss Kiss, Bang, Bang" in French. It was excellent. Robert Downey Jr and Val Kilmer were fantastic. Will have to see it in English to get the clever dialogue. Highly recommend this black comedy. Remember he also wrote Lethal Weapon. This one he directed too.

It's been sunny and warm since I got here so I decided to leave my umbrella home to lighten the load. When I came out of the movie it was raining. Murphy's Law is in full swing and I hope it lets up soon. I caught my beautiful fresh baguette in the door on the way back from shopping at the market. The positive side is that I'm in Paris.

9/28 Left early this morning for Giverny. I had to go back and this time I brought art supplies. It was a great day. Met 2 guys from Chicago and spent some time with them -- they're visiting a niece that's studying writing here and lives with a French family. Today is the first cooler day. Time for my afternoon tea. Avoir for now . . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home