Musings

Monday, September 26, 2005

friday in Paris

9/23 As soon as I was able to check into the hotel, I fell fast asleep, not leaving the room for the rest of the evening. Really liked this hotel and highly recommend it.

Met with the owner of the apartment who is very nice as I expected. He showed me around then left me on my own to settle in. I am so fortunate to have found this place. Everything I need is right here. Except for tourist attractions there is no need to go anywhere else for anything. It`s all within a block or 2 from where I'm staying. Grocery shopped at the market; the bakery, cheese, wine shop and the fruit stand. So easy.

Still trying to get past the fog in my head and get the energy moving. I feel like a zombie.

9/24 Scheduled a trip to Versaille for the afternoon. In the meantime I thought I'd take a stroll to the right bank instead of the metro. There was a big event at the Military School which is close to where I am. Lots of guys in Army fatigues and tents set up all the way to the beautiful Pont Alexander III with it's golden statues on each side of the bridge high above the road and easily seen from far away.

The gardens at Versaille were wonderful but I only had an hour and a half to see it. Didn't get to everything but there's always next time.

Returned with sore feet so I stopped at the popular and elegant Angelina's for their famous hot chocolate. I wanted the white but they were out so I had the classic. It was like drinking a melted, very, very rich chocolate bar with chantilly creme on the side. Too much for me but worth trying -- the price for this luxury -- 7 euro (8.50 US dollars!)

Next stop for the day was a walking tour of Hemingway's Paris based on his final book, A Moveable Feast. Fun and informative with a great guide.

Made it back to my area when I realized I hadn't eaten since breakfast. Much to my delight, there several places open at 10:30 at night.

What a full day -- 12 hours of almost constant walking. Had to soak my feet.

Took lots of cool pics. Too much happening to tell all. Can't wait til the fog lifts and I feel human again.

More next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home